Nothing says the start of summer more than picking fresh strawberries in a you-pick strawberry farm. As soon as Christene was able to walk, I took her with my best friend Linda to go strawberry picking at a local strawberry farm. With the arrival of our two other children Katie and Joey, the trip becomes an annual event.
When they were very little we went to a local farm and as they became older there uncle Dick who had a vegetable farm also started having you-pick strawberries. Strawberries were eaten in strawberry shortcake, eaten fresh in the field, and one of the family favorites with this fresh strawberry pie. Part of the appeal is not only the fabulous fresh strawberry taste but the way the strawberries are arranged in the pie pan.
When I was a little girl we also picked strawberries in the field in June. My mother would include the addition of rhubarb from fresh rhubarb plants that were at the side of our house. Strawberry rhubarb pie was the pie my mother had grown up and that she passed on to my sister and I. When Jim and I were first married I used to make the strawberry rhubarb version but when the children came along this easier more decorative pie became the favorite.
- 1 Pie Crust Homemade or store bought
- 5-6 cups Whole Fresh Strawberries
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 3 TLB Corn Starch
- 1/4 cup Water
- Pre-Heat Oven to 450 degree bake your piecrust in 9 inch pie pan at 450°F 9 to 11 minutes until golden brown, remove from oven and allow to cool 30 minutes.
- Crush 2 cups of strawberries in saucepan.
- Add Sugar, Cornstarch and Water.
- Cooke over low heart stirring until dissolved allow to cool completely.
- Place remaining large Strawberries in the cooled crust tip up like little mountains to fill pie curst.
- Pour the Strawberry mixture over the Strawberries.
- Refrigerate 3 hours.
- Serve with Whip Topping of course!