Jelly Rolled Chocolate Cake with Butter Cream Frosting and Whipped Cream Filling
- 1 cup sifted Cake Floor
- 1/4 cup Coco Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 3 Eggs
- 1 cup Regular Sugar
- 1/3 cup Water
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- Confectioners Powdered Sugar for towel & top of the cake.
Whipped Cream Filling
- 1 cup of Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 cup of Powdered Sugar
Chocolate Butter Frosting
- 1/2 stick of Butter
- 2 squares Unsweetened Chocolate
- 2 cups of sifted Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- Take your jelly roll pan or cookie sheet that has sides and grease with butter, and then add flour and coat the butter with flour, shaking off in the sink any loose flour left. This lets the cake release from the pan.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder & salt.
- In a larger separate bowl beat the eggs until thick and creamy. Beat in granulated sugar 1 tablespoon at a time beat until thick. Then stir in the water and vanilla. Fold in the flour mixture. Spread the batter in the prepared pan, spread out so that it is even.
- Bake at 375° for 12 to 15 minutes. Test with a toothpick.
- While cake cooks, take a clean thin kitchen dish towel and sift over the whole towel powdered sugar.
- When you take the cake out of the oven, run a knife along the edges.
- Have a towel ready and invert the cake in the pan onto the towel. Start at the longest end and roll the cake into the towel.
- Place the cake int he towel on a cooling rack and cool completely.
- In your electric mixer bowl, put the whipping cream and the whisk attachment.
- Start slowly on low adding the vanilla and the powdered sugar, beat until soft peaks. (Do not over beat or you will make sweet butter)
- Put in the refrigerator.
- Put water in a saucepan on the stove top on low heat.
- Put on top of the saucepan a heat-resistant glass or metal pan on top to make a double boiler.
- Put the butter and the unsweetened chocolate in the melt. Cool slightly.
- In your Kitchen Aid mixer bowl, add 2 cups of powdered sugar, milk and vanilla.
- Put mixer on low and slowly add the chocolate mixture.
- Mix until the frosting is smooth and easy to spread but not runny.
- You may need to add more milk or sugar depending on your location and ingredients.
Make the Cake
- Have the whipped cream and the frosting ready.
- Have a helper ready.
- On a large tray or cutting board slowly unroll the cake taking the towel away.
- Keeping the cake in a rolled shape fill the inside with the Whipped Cream, roll back up.
- Place the cream-filled cake on your serving tray.
- You can cut off an end and make it a tight knot and place on the top of the cake.
- Now spread the entire cake knot and ends with frosting.
- When frosted take a fork and drag it across the frosting to make the cake look like bark.
- Add any decoration to have the cake look like a log in the forest.
- Take your powdered sugar in the sifter and coat the entire cake and the serving tray with powdered sugar to look like snow.
- When I make this cake I always have two new bags of Powdered Sugar so I have enough.
- If the cake falls apart or breaks just fill and use the frosting like glue.
- **** Use one deviled food cake mix and follow the instruction on the box. Then put the batter in the prepared pan and follow the rest of the directions above.
- Serving Size: 12
Keywords: Christmas Yule Log Cake Recipe