Savor our irresistible Easy Rhubarb Coffee Cake—moist, delicious, and perfect for brunch or dessert. A must-try recipe. Delight in every bite!
For Streusel Topping:
- 2/3 cup of Bisquick
- 2/3 cup of Brown Sugar (I used Golden Monk Fruit sugar substitute)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold Butter or Plant Based Butter
For Coffee Cake Batter:
- 2 1/4 cups Bisquick
- 1 cup of milk (I used fat free half and half)
- 4 tablespoons of sugar (I used BetterBody Monk Fruit Sweetener Blend)
- 1 Egg
- 2 cups of thin sliced fresh Rhubarb
- 1/4 cup of sugar or sweetener ( sprinkled on top of rhubarb and mixed)
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Line a 9 inch square pan with parchment paper and coat the parchment paper with spray oil.
- To make the Streusel Topping, in a small bowl mix together the Bisquick mix, brown sugar or golden monk fruit substitute. Mix well. Next cut in the cold butter until the mixture is the consistency of coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- Next, cut the fresh rhubarb into thin slices about 1/4 of an inch. Us about 2 cups so that you have enough rhubarb for the fruit layer. However it never hurts to have extra rhubarb for this layer. Sprinkle the rhubarb with 1/4 cup of sugar or monk fruit sugar substitute. Set aside while you make the coffee cake batter.
- Next, make the batter in a large bowl. Mix together the 2 and 1/4 cups of Bisquick mix, 1 cup of half and half or 1 cup of milk, the one egg, and 4 tablespoons of sugar or Monk fruit sugar substitute. Mix well with a rubber spatula but do not over mix.
- Transfer half of the batter to the cake pan and spread evenly in the prepared cake pan.
- Now for the rhubarb layer. If this is the first time you are making coffee cake with rhubarb you may want to make a single layer of chopped rhubarb on top of the cake layer. However, I like to have a generous layer of at least 2 cups and layer it on. During the baking process the rhubarb layer will shrink so do not be afraid to make more than a single layer.
- Next, spread the second half of the batter over the sliced rhubarb.
- As the last step, sprinkle the streusel topping on top of the rhubarb layer.
- Bake in a 400°F oven for 25 minutes or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Set the cake pan on a cooling rack for about 15 to 20 minutes to allow the cake to cool. Serve as is or with whip topping on top.
Keywords: Easy Rhubarb Coffee Cake Recipe without Sour Cream