Savery healthy vegetarian Jambalaya, filling, full of plant based sausage flavor. Simple 4-step recipe.
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil (2 for the sausage and 2 for the onion, garlic, and peppers)
- 1 package of Beyond Vegetarian Sausage (4 sausages)
- 1 onion, large diced
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 2 stocks of celery diced
- 2 teaspoons of garlic minced or pre-minced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 and 1/2 cups of brown rice
- 4 cups of water
- 1/4 teaspoon of chipotle powder
- 2 cans of 14 oz diced tomatoes
- 2 handfuls of fresh spinach (ruff chop)
- Cut the sausage links into bits size discs and cut in the disc in half.
- Dice the onion, celery, pepper, and garlic.
- In a saute pan add 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat, add the sausage, and brown for about 5 to 7 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large soup pot or 6 to 7-quart enameled cast iron-covered casserole dutch oven, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and cook the onions for 3 minutes and then add the peppers, celery and garlic, salt, and pepper to taste. Cook until tender about 3 to 4 minutes
- After about 4 to 5 minutes when the veggies are softened add the rice, chipotle powder, cans of diced tomatoes, and water. Cover and cook for 25 minutes for brown rice.
- When the cooking time is done and the rice is cooked not hard add the sausage to the Jambalaya and heat for 2 more minutes.
- At this point, you add the chopped spinach to the large pot and cook for 1 minute, or you can add a small handful to each serving bowl. (we like our spinach less cooked so I just add a little to each bowl as I serve)
- If your family does not like spicy foods leave out the chipotle powder or if you like more spice you can add up to one teaspoon.
- If you want to use white rice use 1 1/2 cups of white rice and 2 1/2 cups of water. You will then cook for 15 minutes.
Keywords: healthy, vegetarian, jambalaya