Sweet, creamy, luscious, maple syrup caramel sauce.
- 1 cup of pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1/4 cup of heavy cream
- Use a heavy medium saucepan over medium heat and heat the pure maple syrup to a temperature of 230° F. or 110° C.
- Attach a candy thermometer to the side of the pan making sure that the tip does not touch the bottom of the pan.
- When the syrup has reached 230° F remove it from the heat. This will take about 10 to 15 minutes. Do not rush this process.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons of room temperature butter.
- When the butter is melted add the heavy cream and stir.
- You do have the option to add 1/4 teaspoon of flaky sea salt if you want to make a salted caramel but I have found it is so delicious the salt is not needed.
- The maple syrup caramel sauce will thicken as it cools.
- If you want a more pronounced maple flavor you can add a 1/2 teaspoon of maple extract.
Keywords: maple syrup, caramel, caramel sauce