Chocolate chip peanut butter bar cookies are a fun easy treat for kids to help with baking. All you need is a box of cake mix, peanut butter, and chocolate chips. They are soft and chewy on the inside and delicious on the outside. Cooking with kids is so important because it can be a great way to connect with your children as well as teach them practical life skills.
To Make 1 cup of Peanut Butter from Powder:
- 1 cup of Naked Peanut Powder
- 3/4 of water
To Make the Bar Cookies 1st Layer:
- yellow cake mix (I always use Duncan Hines Cake mixes)
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup of creamy peanut butter (see above)
To Make the Bar Cookies 2nd Layer:
- 1 package (8 oz) of cream cheese (softened to room temperature)
- 1/4 cup of oat milk
- 1/4 cup of light agave (or 1/2 cup of white sugar)
- 1/2 cup of Naked Peanut Powder
To Layer on Top:
- 1/2 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup of white chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°, and spray oil or butter on a 13×9 baking pan.
- If using powdered peanut butter to reduce the fat, mix together 1 cup of peanut butter powder and 3/4 cup of water. Adjust the water to make a creamy peanut butter
- In a stand mixer or a hand mixer in a large bowl mix together the peanut butter mixture, the cake mix, and 1 egg. Mix until fully mixed that you can spread in a 13×9 pan.
- Using a spatula press this first layer into the 13×9 baking pan.
- In your stand mixer or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, cream the cream cheese, and add the remaining 1/3 cup of peanut butter. Mix well.
- Next, add the agave and milk slowly, if using agave add an additional 1/2 cup of peanut butter powder to the mix. (If using white sugar you don’t need the extra peanut butter powder) mix until smooth and creamy.
- Spread the second layer over the cake mix layer and spread evenly
- Sprinkle the semi-sweet chocolate chip and the white chip evenly over the top.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 30 minutes. Use a toothpick in the center to see if cooked through. If still not cooked add another 5 minutes.
I made this recipe to be low fat, light on the dairy ingredients and with a low glycemic sugar alternative. If you do not have the specialty ingredients you can use brand creamy peanut butter, full fat cream cheese, regular cows milk and white sugar but this increase the fat and glycemic index of the bar cookies.
Keywords: Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Bar Cookies