Everyone in the house will enjoy this healthy summer squash casserole! It’s easy to make, full of fresh produce, and can be made using any squash you have on hand.
- 4 to 5 yellow summer squash peeled and sliced thin
- 1 large white or red onion sliced thin
- Italian seasoning or fresh basil and oregano
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup of butter or plant based butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Spray the bottom of a 13×9 high-sided baking pan.
- Using a mandolin slicer thinly slice a large onion.
- Using a mandolin slice think 4 to 5 yellow squash (or 1 to 2 large yellow squash)
- Layer in the pan a layer of yellow squash, then 1/2 of the onion slices, and then another layer of yellow squash.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of shredded parmesan cheese on top of the squash.
- Next, layer the remaining onion slices, and the rest of the yellow squash.
- Top with the remaining parmesan cheese, then layer 1/2 of a cup of Italian seasoned panko breadcrumbs.
- Melt in the microwave 1/4 cup of butter or plant-based butter and drizzle on top of the breadcrumbs.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350°F for 25 minutes. After 25 minutes remove the foil and bake an additional 15 minutes or until the breadcrumbs are golden brown.
- Make the recipe your own. You can use yellow summer squash or regular green zucchini.
- Also, this recipe is so delicious with 2 ears of fresh corn on the cob pre-cooked in the microwave for 2 minutes and removed from the cob.
- Feel free to add any shredded cheese you like Parmesan and Mozzarella work the best.
Keywords: Yellow Crookneck Summer Squash Bake Casserole