This recipe combines the rich and hearty taste of red split lentils with the fresh flavors of fresh grated ginger, and the added spices of turmeric, chili powder and Indian garam masala.
- 2 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons of pre minced garlic
- 2 inches of fresh ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeds and spines removed chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 1/2 red split lentils
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes (14 oz)
- 1/4 cup of light coconut milk (from a can of coconut milk, or add a whole can of full fat coconut milk, but to keep the recipe heart healthy I only used 1/4 cup of light coconut milk. )
- 2 tablespoons of almond butter
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- Rinse lentils in cold water about 5 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet to medium high heat. Add the garlic, ginger, and H pepper and water saute with cold water for 2 minutes. Watch and stir the whole time so that it does not burn.
- Lower the heat and add the ground turmeric, chili powder, curry powder, garam masala and stir just to warm the spices.
- Add the lentils, vegetable broth, and tomatoes and stir and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until the lentils are starting to get soft.
- Add the coconut milk, almond butter and uncovered on low to thicken.
- When the lentils are to the thickness you like remove from the heat and add the lemon juice.
- Serve with fresh naan bread find the recipe for 3 ingredient naan bread read here.
- You can also serve over rice
Keywords: How to Cook Vegan Red Lentil Curry