Making homemade marshmallows is so much easier than you can imagine. I have a quick & easy recipe for basic melt in your mouth marshmallows that your family will love. First, try the basic white fluffy homemade corn syrup marshmallows. You then can experiment with different flavors. You will have so much fun getting your children involved as you can make so many shapes for any holiday.
Surprising Easy Heart Shaped Homemade Marshmallows are Perfect for Valentine’s Day. Make a fun batch of these cute hearts shaped marshmallows for a fun Valentine’s Day Tea party. They are so sweet and fluffy they will melt in your mouth. A fun shaped and delicious dessert at your tea party or any Valentine’s Day dinner.
How To Make Homemade Marshmallows
- Stand Mixer
- Butter (or spray oil)
- Neon Food Coloring
- Knox Unflavored Gelatin
- 13×9 Glass Baking Pan
- Cookie Cutters Hearts
- Powdered Sugar
- Red & White Sprinkles
- Wilton Sugar Pearls (you can also find these at JoAnn’s or Walmart)
Easy Step By Step For The Fluffiest Marshmallows
Before you start anything else you will want to mix the unflavored gelatin with the cold water this has to sit for at least 10 minutes. You can just add the gelatine to the water right in your stand mixer bowl. (You can also make this recipe with a hand mixer but you will not be able to walk away from your mixture and it will be a lot harder on your hands.)
While the gelatin is sitting start making your sugar syrup mixture on the stove. In a medium-size, saucepan combines the sugar, light corn syrup, and 1/4 cup of water. Stir and on medium heat bring to a boil. When at a rapid boil, boil for one minute, lightly stirring. When one minute is done take off the heat set it aside and allow it to cool for 2 minutes.
Now that the sugar mixture is cool and the gelatin is a clump in your mixing bowl, turn the mixer on low with the whipping attachment. As the mixer works, slowly and carefully pour the warm sugar mixture into the mixer. When combined, set the mixer on high and mix for 9 minutes. Some recipes mix for longer but when I whet past 9 minutes the marshmallows got so stiff I could not get them out of the bowl. When fluffy and almost to the top of the whisk reduce the speed and add the vanilla and the food coloring. You now have the classic fluffy marshmallow.
Preparing The Pan, Cutting Shapes & Decorating
Make sure that the pan or tray you use for your marshmallows and your spatula are buttered or sprayed with spray oil. The marshmallows are sticky, very sticky. With the spatula transfer the marshmallows from the mixing bowl to the 13×9 baking pan.
Cut off a piece of plastic wrap for the top of the marshmallows and spray oil the plastic wrap. Place this plastic wrap over the marshmallows and let sit for 2 hours. Yes, 2 hours to have them set up and be ready to make into cute heart shapes.
Once the 2 hours are over, you will need the powdered sugar to keep everything from sticking together. This is where you will want to get the kids involved. If you are having a Valentine’s Party or Dinner you will want to make your hearts in different sizes and decorated them for the party.
When cutting into shapes, just like with cut out cookies, dip the cookie cutter in powdered sugar to keep from sticking. If not coated in Chocolate dust the heart marshmallows in powdered sugar to keep from being too sticky when you eat them and it makes them look great.
If you are doing to decorate with chocolate and sprinkles, keep the powdered sugar to a minimum, or the chocolate will not stick to the marshmallows.
Place your Chocolate chips, Dark chocolate or milk chocolate, and a glass bowl, and heat in the microwave30 seconds at a time. At every 30 seconds remove from the microwave and stir, until chocolate is melted.
Dust off as much powder sugar from your hearts, as possible and dipped in the chocolate. Place the dipped hearts on a cooling rack that has either wax paper or plastic wrap underneath to catch the chocolate drips.
Decorate with any kind of sprinkles you would like. Now your heart-shaped chocolate dipped homemade marshmallows are perfect for any party or Valentine’s Day dinner. Store your marshmallows in an airtight container until ready to eat. They keep very well and are delicious for snacking.Print
- 3 (1/4 oz) packet of Knox Unflavored Gelatin
- 3/4 cup of cold water (1/2 cup of water for the gelatin, & 1/4 cup water to be heated with the sugar)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Neon Food coloring (pink)
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 bag of chocolate chips
- First, combine 1/2 cup of cold water & 3 packets of Knox Unflavored Gelatin in the bowl of the stand mixer. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Next, in a saucepan mix together 2 cups of sugar, 2/3 cup of light corn syrup, and 1/4 cup of water. Stir together. Over medium heat bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. When at a boil, boil rapidly for 1 minute. Turn off and let cool for 2 minutes.
- When the 10 minutes timer is over for the gelatin & water, turn the mixer on low to break up the gelatin.
- With the mixer on low slowly and carefully take the cooled sugar mixture and pour it into the mixing bowl.
- Add the 1/4 tsp of salt to the mixing bowl.
- Increase the speed of the mixture to high and mix for 9 minutes. (watch mixture to make sure it does not become too stiff your you will not be able to spread the marshmallows in your pan.
- After 9 or 10 minutes, slowly add the vanilla.
- If you want the hearts to be pink add 1 drop of pink food coloring.
- Butter the 13×9 pan. (you can use spray oil but I found butter works best)
- Take the spray oil and spray the spatula. The Marshmallows are a delicious sticky mixture and the more you butter or spray oil the easier time you will have.
- Spread the marshmallows in the 13×9 pan or on a cookie sheet. Spread out the top to make it smooth.
- Cut a piece of plastic wrap to go on the top of your pan. Spray the plastic wrap and place it on top of the marshmallows. Let sit for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours you can cut the marshmallows into shapes. I love using cookie cutters but you can also cut them into squares.
- Place the shapes on a lightly powdered sugar cutting board. If you are going to dip them in chocolate use as little powdered sugar as possible, so the chocolate will stick.
- Melt the chocolate chips in a glass dish in the microwave 30 seconds at a time until it is melted and you can stir.
- Dip the marshmallows in the chocolate, if desired top with sprinkles or sugar pearls.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Dessert
Keywords: Homemade Heart Shaped Marshmallows