If you are looking for healthy homemade snack food, after school snack or a party dessert you will love the deliciousness and how simple it is to make Blueberry Oatmeal Crumble Dessert Bars recipe. So quick to mix together, and when cooled are a perfect finger dessert.
Why are Blackberry Oatmeal Crumble Dessert Bars Healthy?
These blueberry oatmeal crumble dessert bars are healthy as they are made with all whole grains. All of the sweetness of the snack dessert comes from the fresh fruit and natural sweeteners. I used honey and a small amount of brown sugar. If you are trying to avoid all refined sugars you can replace the brown sugar with additional honey.
How to Make Blackberry Oatmeal Crumble Dessert Bars
Before you start making the blueberry bars it is best to prepare the pan. That way is it ready to go when the ingredients are ready. Using a 9×9 pan, line the pan with parchment paper. One strip of parchment paper in each direction to cover to bottom and make getting the recipe out of the pan when cooled. It is so much easier to cut the bars when they are cool and taken out of the pan. This way you have good control to cup the bars with a large knife.
Use clips to hold the paper on to the sides and out of the way until you are going to bake the blueberry oatmeal bars. Make sure to remove the clips before you put the pan in the oven.
Use your favorite spray oil or use softened butter to coat the bottom and the sides of the parchment paper.
The next step is to mix the bottom of the blueberry bars. Mix together all the ingredients for the crust and topping. Make sure to same 1 cup of the crust for the top crumbles. You can adjust this to how much or how little you want the top to have on it. I like a lot so I saved at least 1 cup.
Take the crust mixture and layer it on the bottom of the pan on top of the parchment paper. Using a spatula or your hand press down to make a firm crust that will hold up when you cut later. Keep in mind that the blueberries will be juicy and you need a firm footing for the blueberries.
Mix together the blueberries, lemon juice, cornstarch, and honey. Layer the blueberry mixture on to the top of the crust.
As the final step take the reserved crust mixture and crumble over the top. Make sure to make it even so there is crumble goodness over the whole dessert and each bar.
Not make sure you remove the clips. Have your oven preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for 45 to 60 minutes depending on how juicy your berries are. Mine worked great at 45 minutes.Print
Super simple delicious whole grain snack or dessert bar. Loaded with blueberry goodness.
Bar Crust & Topping:
- 1 & 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1 & 1/2 cup of old fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 6 tablespoons of melted butter
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of honey
Blackberry Center Filling:
- 3 1/2 cups of Blueberries washed and cut into thirds or half depending on the size of the berries.
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons of corn starch
- 1/4 cup honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line the bottom of a 8 x 8 baking pan with parchment paper, clip on side of the pan to hold together until ready to bake. (do not bake with the clips on the pan)
- Spray the parchment paper with spray oil.
- Melt the butter in the microwave until just melted about 45 to 60 seconds.
- In a medium mixing bowl mix together flour, oats, brown sugar, and a pinch of salt.
- Add to the dry ingredients the melted butter vanilla and honey. The mixture will be clumpy and dry.
- Save 1 cup of this mixture for the topping of the pan.
- With the remaining mixture press with on the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Next, mix the blueberry mixture: the berries, honey, lemon juice, and cornstarch.
- Top the bottom crust with the berry mixture, spread evenly.
- With the reserved topping, crumble over the blueberries
- Make sure you have removed any clips on the pan.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
- When time is done allow to cool completely before taking out of the pan.
- When cool lift out of the pan with the parchment paper, cut into bars.
Keywords: Blueberry Oatmeal Crumble Dessert Bars Easy Healthy