Have fun this Easter with your kids making super easy bunny ear Easter Cupcakes. Start with a box mix to make the cupcake mix super easy and spend your time with the kids decorating with sprinkles and fun bunny ear tippers. Make a simple buttercream frosting that will have you asking for a second cupcake.
Note this post contains some affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission which helps keep my blog up and running but it won’t cost you a penny more)! Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Why Make Cupcakes with a Box Cake Mix?
Instead of making a from scratch vanilla cupcake batter start with a Duncan Hines Signature French Vanilla Cake Mix. It is delicious and fluffy and takes minutes to mix together. Spend your time enjoying decorating for Easter with the kids and not worry about if the cupcake with being moist and fluffy. The cupcake mixes come out perfectly every time.
Decorating Easter Cupcakes
I do not know what it is but I love sprinkles, all kinds for every occasion. I have found that you can get fun cute sprinkles at Walmart and also on Amazon. I buy a lot of my sprinkles from Pop Sprinkles which are also available on Amazon. Check out all the beautiful Easter sprinkles colors.
To make the cupcake baking Easter party with your kids you will also need cute Easter bunny cupcake liners. The cupcake liner makes the outside of the cupcake so pretty and adds extra decoration. The liners also make cupcakes easy to hand out and store. You just have to give them a light spray with spray oil so the cupcake comes out of the liner with ease.
Let’s Talk Bunny Ears
There are so many cute ideas bunny ear ideas for decorating your cupcakes. With little ones, our granddaughter is 1 1/2, I found little paper ears that stick in the cupcake, and little hands can help insert them. As always with a child this young you need to be with them the entire time to make sure they do not stick themself with the ears.
How to Make Easter Cupcakes with a Quick Butter Cream Frosting.
On the day you are planning to decorate Easter cupcakes have all the ingredients and tools ready and in one place in your kitchen.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Line a cupcake baking pan with cupcake liners.
- Spray the inside of the liner with a light mist of spray oil so the cupcakes can easily be removed from the liner after they are baked.
- To the mixing bowl add water, eggs, butter (or vegetable oil), and vanilla.
- You can use a stand mixer or a hand mixer.
- Mix on low for 30 seconds and then on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 full.
- Bake the cupcakes for 16 minutes. Test with a toothpick, if the toothpick comes out clean the cupcakes are done. Do not over-bake.
- Let sit for 5 minutes in the pan and then remove the cupcakes in their liners to a cooling rack.
- While the cupcakes are cooling make the buttercream frosting.
- Add two sticks of room temperature softened butter to a mixing bowl. Mix on medium speed to get the butter soft and fluffy. Add powdered sugar and vanilla and food coloring if desired, mix until smooth.
- Decorate the cupcakes using the frosting in a piping bag with a flower tip
- Insert into the top any Cupcake topper that you like.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission which helps keep my blog up and running but it won’t cost you a penny more)! Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Tools for Baking Cupcakes
- Cupcake Baking Pan
- Cooking Rack
- Duncan Hines Signature French Vanilla Cake Mix
- Easter Cupcake liners
- Easter Cupcake Sprinkles
- Cupcake Bunny Ear Toppers
These cute and easy bunny ear cupcakes are the perfect Easter dessert for kids! Simply bake your favorite cupcake recipe and frost it with pink frosting. Then, add bunny ears. These adorable cupcakes are sure to be a hit with kids and adults alike!
- 1 box Duncan Hines Signature Perfectly Moist French Vanilla Cake Mix
- 1 cup of water
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil (or melted butter)
For Butter Cream Frosting:
- 2 stickers of room temperature butter (1 cup)
- 4 cups of powdered sugar
- 5 to 6 tablespoons of milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 2 drops of red or blue food coloring.
- Add the cupcake liners to the cupcake baking pan. Lightly spray the inside of the liner.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Melt the butter in a glass measuring cup. Make sure it is not too hot.
- In a stand mixer or in a large bowl with a hand mixer add the cake mix to the bowl.
- Add the water, eggs, and melted butter.
- Mix on low for 30 seconds.
- Mix on medium for 2 minutes.
- Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 full. Do not overfill
- Bake in a 350° F oven for 16 minutes. (check by putting a toothpick in a cupcake, if it comes out clean take it out of the oven.
- Allow cooling in the pan for 5 minutes.
- Remove the cupcakes and put them on a cooling rack.
- When the cupcakes are cool make the frosting and frost.
To Make the Frosting:
- Mix the softened butter in the mixer on low until the butter is creamy.
- Add the vanilla.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar and the milk alternatively.
- Remove 1 and 1/2 cups of the white frosting to pipe the border.
- Add the 6 drops of the pink or blue food coloring to make the Easter Bunny color you like
- Adjust the amount of milk and sugar to get the consistency you want for your cake. You want the frosting to be stiff enough to pip but not so stiff that you can not spread.
Decorating the Cupcakes:
- Put the flower tip in a piping bag and fill it with the frosting. Pipe the flower design with a continuous sweeping motion.
- Add as many sprinkles to the top of the cupcake.
- Add your Bunny Ears Toppers
Keywords: Easy Bunny Ear Easter Cupcakes for Kids