A beautiful delicious heart shaped red velvet chocolate cake that your family will think you got at the bakery. Make one at home so easy with 2 heart cake pans and a red velvet box cake mix. Wow, your family or loved one with this spectacular cake for a birthday, Valentine’s Day, Sweetest Day, or any time you want to celebrate.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission which helps keep my blog up and running but it won’t cost you a penny more)! Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
February the Month of Love
My Birthday Month & Valentine’s Day
My Birthday is in February and Jim always makes February special. With Valentine’s being the first special day of the month he started out the month with this special cake. I wake up smelling the most wonderful smell on February 14, the smell of baking cake.
I tell him each year “do not buy flowers” as they just last a short time, so he had a two layer cake pans sitting on the counter and breakfast on the table. What a wonderful surprise.
Both our mothers made a chocolate cake for special occasions. And Sunday dinner was always considered a special occasion. If we had family or friends over for Sunday dinner chocolate cake was for dessert.
Seeing a heart-shaped cake sitting on the counter reminded me of home and my childhood. But his February it was not just any chocolate cake but a Red Velvet Chocolate cake, yum!
My gift for Valentine’s for Jim was I insisted I frost the cake and make it even more special. So I grabbed my piping bags, found a fun frosting tip in the drawer, and started making our family’s favorite buttercream frosting.
I had just purchased these fun heart and kisses sprinkles that topped of the decorations and made it especially beautiful. I want to encourage you that even if you are not an expert at cake decorating like me. If you have never taken a cake decorating class, like me, you can wow your family with just a few tools and a lot of sprinkles.
Cheap Supplies for Cake Decorating
- Piping bags
- Extra Large Piping Tips
- Reg Piping Tips Kit
- Cake Serving Platter
- Sprinkles my favorite
- 2 Heart Cake Pans
- Off-Set Spatula
- 1 Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Red Velvet Cake Mix
- 1 cup of water
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup of melted butter (or 1/3 cup vegetable oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
White and Pink Buttercream Frosting
- 2 stickers of room temperature butter (1 cup)
- 4 cups of powdered sugar
- 5 to 6 tablespoons of milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 2 drops of red food coloring.
- Butter and flour two heart cake pans.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Melt the butter in a glass measuring cup.
- In a stand mixer or in a large bowl with a hand mixer add the cake mix to the bowl.
- Add to the cake mix the water, eggs, and melted butter.
- Mix on low for 30 seconds.
- Mix on medium for 2 minutes.
- Divide the batter evenly in the two pans.
- Bake in a 350° F oven for 25 minutes. (check at 20 minutes by putting a toothpick in the cake, if it comes out clean take it out of the oven.
- Allow cooling in the pan for 5 minutes.
- Remove the cakes from the pan and cool completely on a cooling rack.
- When the cake is cool make the frosting and frost.
To Make the Frosting:
- Mix the softened butter in the mixer on low until the butter is creamy.
- Add the vanilla.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar and the milk alternatively.
- Remove 1 and 1/2 cups of the white frosting to pipe the border.
- Add the 2 drops of red food coloring to make a soft pink color.
- Adjust the amount of milk and sugar to get the consistency you want for your cake. You want the frosting to be stiff enough to pip but not so stiff that you can not spread.
Decorating the Cake:
- If the bottom heart layer is too domed, with a created knife flatten the bottom layer.
- Spread a thin layer of white frosting onto the bottom layer of the cake with the offset spatula.
- Set the second heart layer on top. Frost the sides and top of the cake with pink frosting.
- Put the flower tip in a piping bag and the remaining white frosting. Pip a flower border on the top of the cake.
- Add as many sprinkles to the top of the cake.
- You can make a beautiful heart cake with any flavor cake mix you like.
- I like to substitute the oil for better for a moister cake.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
Keywords: Easy Heart Shaped Red Velvet Cake