There are many holidays where you will need your dessert to be red. Red Velvet Cupcakes are perfect for Valentine’s Day, February birthdays and Christmas. Frost them with a rich and creamy buttercream frosting and decorate with beautiful sprinkles. Red and hearts say love no matter the occasion.
Think you do not have time to make a gorgeous homemade cupcake for your family? You do not think of yourself as a baker? You do not have anything to worry about. These gorgeous cupcakes are made from a box mix.
An easy to make a box mix is nothing to be ashamed of. You have a family, kids, a job but want to have that homemade touch for the holidays or a birthday party. You can do this. The key is the frosting. The box cake mixes the result of professionals with food laboratories and experts working for you.
All you need is butter, powdered sugar, milk, and a stand or hand mixer and your box cupcakes will look and taste as they came from the local bakery. In fact, when I served these to my friends for dinner on a night that is exactly what happened.
We were out to dinner at a local restaurant that does not have a dessert menu, so I take treats each week we go and eat out and play a fun trivia game the place puts on. We have a bakery in the very wealthy town next door and the minute I set them beautiful Red Velvet Cupcakes on the table my friend asked if I have gone to her favorite bakery.
I smiled and said I made them myself. I was flattered and they were going before the dinner dishes were cleaned up. One was snagged even before my friend’s husband got his dinner.
How to Improve Boxed Red Velvet Cake Mix
Tips for Making a Box Mix Taste like Homemade from Scratch
Let’s add a little to our red velvet box cake mix. Of course, you can make delicious red velvet cupcakes from scratch there are tons of great recipes online. But we are busy working moms that want to have a fun dessert but still have time to relax and enjoy our family. Using a box mix is the answer. You can have beautiful cupcakes in minutes from opening the box.
- You can substitute butter for the oil as listed on the box.
- You can add one additional egg for a denser cake.
- Milk can be substituted for the water.
- Under bake the cupcakes by 1 minute for a moister cake.
- Adding a box of chocolate instant pudding will make a richer flavor however, my mix had the pudding already in the mix. (do not add more pudding mix if already in the mix)
- for a darker red color, you can add a little red food coloring.
How to Make Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Line a cupcake baking pan with cupcake liners.
- Spray the inside of the liner with a light mist of spray oil so the cupcakes can easily be removed from the liner after they are baked.
- To the mixing bowl add water, eggs, butter (or vegetable oil), and vanilla.
- You can use a stand mixer or a hand mixer.
- Mix on low for 30 seconds and then on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 full.
- Bake the cupcakes for 16 minutes. Test with a toothpick, if the toothpick comes out clean the cupcakes are done. Do not over-bake.
- Let sit for 5 minutes in the pan and then remove the cupcakes in their liners to a cooling rack.
- While the cupcakes are cooling make the buttercream frosting.
- Add two sticks of room temperature softened butter to a mixing bowl. Mix on medium speed to get the butter soft and fluffy. Add powdered sugar and vanilla and food coloring if desired, mix until smooth.
- Decorate the cupcakes using the frosting in a piping bag with a flower tip
- Insert into the top any Cupcake topper that you like.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission which helps keep my blog up and running but it won’t cost you a penny more)! Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
The Best Recipe that Compliment Red Velvet Cupcakes
If you love red velvet cake mix like I do you will love these next recipes that are both started with an easy box cake mix.
Starting dessert at home using a box cake mix is advantageous due to its ease of use, consistent results, and variety of flavors. Box cake mixes also provide a convenient and accessible way to introduce kids to baking, with pre-measured ingredients and simple instructions. It allows kids to have fun while building their baking skills and eventually transitioning to more complex recipes.
Red Velvet Heart Cake Mix Cut Out Cookies
Red velvet heart cake mix cut out cookies are so easy to make using only 3 ingredients.
Easy Red Velvet Cake Pops From Cake Mix
Indulge in the rich, velvety goodness of our homemade red velvet cake pops. Made with a convenient cake mix, these treats are the perfect combination of moist, fluffy cake and chocolate frosting, all rolled into a bite-sized pop.
Sweet and Playful Valentine’s Activities to Complement Red Velvet Cupcakes!
Free Printable Valentine’s Day Stickers
Print & Cut Valentine’s Day Stickers forPrinter or Cricut Design Space Valentine’s Day is my favorite holiday and I always start to have a gift & party ideas as soon as the holiday decorations are put away. I want to bring color into my home. We still are in full swing of winter here in Ohio
Valentines Coloring Pages for Kids – Free
Valentine’s Day is a special holiday for children, and what better way to celebrate than with a fun and free coloring activity? These Valentine’s Day coloring pages are a free PDF download for you to use as often as you want. These coloring pages are perfect for keeping little hands busy while spreading the love
- Betty Crocker Super Moist Red Velvet Cake Mix
- 1 1/4 cups of water
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil (can use melted butter)
- 3 eggs
- Spray oil
- Cupcake linners
For Butter Cream Frosting
- 1 cup of butter (2 sticks)
- 4 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup of milk (you can use heavy whipping cream, half and half, or your regular milk)
- Frosting piping bag
- Frosting piping tip W= 2D, or W 1M
- Mix in your stand mixer the cake mix, water, vegetable oil, and eggs. Mix on slow for 30 seconds, and then on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Using cupcake liners, place the liners in a cupcake pan and spray with spray oil.
- Fill the cupcake liners 1/2 way to top with the cake batter.
- Bake at 350° F for 14 minutes. Or follow the directions on the back of your cake mix for the type of pan you have. Cook the cupcakes for the least amount of time as you do not want to overcook them. Cooking a little less makes for a better cupcake for red velvet cupcakes
For the Frosting:
- In your stand mixer or with a hand mixer, mix butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk until smooth.
- If the frosting is too thick add a little more milk, if too thin add a little more powdered sugar.
- As these cupcakes have a piped frosting I make the frosting very stiff.
Keywords: Red Velvet Cake Mix Cupcakes