Simple 3 ingredients homemade Rice Krispies Treats with cookie cutters to make the How the Grinch Stole Christmas Design. A Grinch movie theme recipe with the classic flavor, cute Christmas sprinkles, and the classic green color. Sprinkles with green, pink, hearts, trees, and snowflakes match the cookie cutter shapes of Santa, Christmas Trees, and Snow Fakes. Your kids will love these when they watch our favorite Grinch movie.
Easy and fun for any Christmas party or just a dinner-time dessert for your Grinch watch party.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission which helps keep my blog up and running but it won’t cost you a penny more)! Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
How The Grinch Stole Christmas Movies
Our family like yours I am sure loves the How the Grinch Stole Christmas movie. We loved the traditional movies as kids and now the new Disney movie. The classic How the Grinch Stole Christmas is still the one I love the best and we have a DVD copy (and an old VHS 😀)
I know kids will love the new Disney Dr. Seuss’ The Grinch. I am becoming a super fan also as I like the longer movie.
This year Grinch Rice Krispies Treats are going to be a go-to snack for every time we watch. And we do watch the movie more than once. Along with Grinch sugar cookies. Having a decorative themed treat makes the movie night just extra special. Have the camera ready to catch the smiles when you bring out the snacks.
History of Rice Krispies Treats
Rice Krispies cereal is made by Kellogg company and as you can imagine they are the ones that developed the recipe. Two women working for Kellogg’s lab developed a version of the treats in 1927. They were working on a fundraiser for The Camp Fire Girls. While the Camp Fire Girls enjoyed the first treats we have enjoyed for almost 100 years.
Melitta Jensen and Mildred Day in the Kellogg home economics department came up with the recipe that was first printed on the Rice Krispies cereal box in 1932.
If you are my generation you will remember the big hit of Rice Krispies cereal was the sound. The cereal when milk was added made the classic “Snap, Crackle, Pop” sound. And in 1933 the character of Snap, Crackle, and Pop first appeared in ads and on the boxes.
When TV shows were popular in the 1960s the commercials with the characters and the jingle were everywhere. The cereal, the jingle, the sound, and the delicious marshmallow treats are so nostalgic. Maybe that is why it just was natural to par the nostalgic cereal treat with the nostalgic movie “How the Grinch Stole Christmas”
The 3 Ingredients You Need For Rice Krispies Treats
- Marshmallows or mini marshmallows
- Rice Krispies Cereal
- Green Food coloring and Sprinkles (Great site for all Christmas Sprinkles – Sprinkle Pop ) are extra for decorations.
How do you make your Grinch Treats Grinch
1. Make sure that you use parchment or wax paper to line your pan. The treats can become very stickie and it is so much easier to lift the whole recipe out of the pan especially if you are making shapes.
2. You can make any rice Krispy treat special by cutting them into shapes. I love to make Mickey Mouse shaped treats for our Disney vacations.
3. Look through all of your Christmas cookie cutters and make fun shapes. I wanted to go with the theme of the movie, so a tree, Santa, and snowflakes were what I grabbed out of my cookie cutter bin.
4. Color is the key. You can make your treats a limey green like mine or a darker deep green. Any shade of green works for the Grinch.
5. Decorations also make the mood of the Grinch movie. Green sprinkles, ones with trees, snowflakes, and hearts match the theme. Sprinkle Pop have a mix of green and pink for “Who Hash”
How to Make Rice Krispy Treats
Rice Krispy Treats are so easy to make with only 3 basic ingredients. These treats are so fun to experiment with but the basic recipe can be made in minutes. There are just a few tips that make the cooking process run smoothly.
- Use a nonstick pot that is large to hold all the cereal.
- Have a cooking spray ready and out on the counter to coat your utensils and your hands if needed.
- For cutting into shapes with a cookie cutter have a large cookie sheet with sides sprayed with spray oil, lined with parchment, and then spray the parchment paper (or wax paper) with spray oil.
- Measure out the cereal ready to mix.
- Have your sprinkles opened and ready to sprinkle. You want everything ready to go before you melt the marshmallows, so you are not trying to measure and open with sticky hands. But do not worry about any mess, the marshmallow while sticky dissolves so fast with soap and warm water.
- Melt the butter on low heat.
- Add the marshmallows and melt on low stirring the whole time to make sure they do not burn.
- Turn off the heat and add all the cereal at once string to coat all the cereal. Spray your spatula with spray oil or coat it with butter if things get too sticky.
- Transfer the coated cereal to the cookie sheet. Put on your gloves and coat with butter or spray oil and flatten the Rice Krispy treats to make an even top.
- Sprinkle on the sprinkles and pat down a little so they stick to the marshmallow. Let cool.
- Lift the whole Rice Krispy Treat out of your pan. If you used parchment paper this is very easy.
- Spray the inside of your cookie cutters and have fun making cool looking Grinch Rice Krispy Treats for your movie night.
Simple 3 ingredients homemade Rice Krispies Treats with cookie cutters to make the How the Grinch Stole Christmas Design. A Grinch movie theme recipe with the classic flavor, cute Christmas sprinkles, and the classic green color. Sprinkles with green, and pink, hearts, trees, and snowflakes match the cookie cutter shapes of Santa, Christmas Trees, and Snow Fakes. Your kids will love these when they watch our favorite Grinch movie
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 package of marshmallows or 4 cups of mini marshmallows
- 6 cups of Rice Krispies cereal
- Green food coloring
- Prepare your 13×9 pan or a high-side cookie sheet. Line the pan or cookie sheet with parchment paper or wax paper. Spray with spray oil or butter the parchment paper. This will help you get the treats out of the pan when cool.
- In a large cooking pot, melt the butter, and be careful not to burn the butter.
- When the butter is melted add the marshmallows and the green food coloring and mix until melted and creamy.
- Remove the marshmallow mixture from the stove and mix in the Rice Krispies cereal.
- Spread the mixture in the pan and spread. I use non-latex disposable gloves to use my hands to spread evenly in the pan.
- Spread your sprinkles over the top while it is still warm and stickie.
- Let set to cool, then lift the Rice Krispy Treats from the pan to cut.
- Spray the inside of your cookie cutter and have fun making Grinch Rice Krispy Treats for your movie night.
- To cut use a sharp knife and a large glass of hot water to clean off the knife and help it cut through the treats.
- For cutting with cookie cutters lightly spray the inside of the cookie cutter with spray oil.
- Choose cookie cutters that are large and do not have small corners.
Keywords: Grinch Rice Krispies Treats