This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission which helps keep my blog up and running but it won’t cost you a penny more)! Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Take leftover mashed potatoes & make the most delicious weekend breakfast Potato Pancakes. Using the Instant Pot you can make potato pancakes even if you do not have leftovers.
How is this related to an Instant Pot? Well, a mistake I made while making potato salad resulted in the most delicious breakfast the next day. Planning ahead for a dinner with friends I started by cutting my potatoes in bite-size chunks added to my Instant Pot and set the timer for 6 minutes. Then I got distracted… really distracted for about 30 minutes. My potatoes sat on warm for over a half hour before my husband said: “are you making potato salad?”
As you can imagine my firm potatoes for potato salad were too overdone. When you have overcooked potatoes you make mashed potatoes. I grabbed my Ricer and made a delicious batch of mashed potatoes for dinner. I had lots of leftovers as I made a 5 lb bag.
The next morning we were off of work and I decided to make Potato Pancakes from the leftover mashed potatoes. The smell & taste reminds us of the breakfasts our Grandmothers made. I hope the potato Pancakes bring back hometown memories for you & you make new memories for your family.
Just take a bag of potatoes peel, cut in bite size, add 1 cup of water the bottom of your Instant Pot, and cook on “pressure” for 10 minutes (or 6 and forget about them for a while LOL).
- 5 lb bag of Golden Yellow Potatoes
- 1 cup Water (for the Instant Pot)
- 3/4 cup of Milk (warmed in the microwave so they do not cool the potatoes)
- 3 TLB of Butter
- 1/2 of the cold leftover Mashed Potatoes (about 4 to 5 cups)
- 1/2 cup of Flour
- 1/2 of a large Sweet Onion Shredded or chopped very fine
- 2 Eggs slightly beaten
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Olive Oil (do not add to the mixture the oil is for your frying pan)
- Peel and rough chop the bag of potatoes about 1-inch size
- Place the potatoes in the Instant Pot.
- Add to the Instant Pot 1 cup of water
- Place the lid, put on Seal, set pressure to 10 minutes.
- When 10 minutes are up let the steam release by waiting 10 more minutes
- Open the lid and places the cooked potatoes in a ricer. This makes the potatoes very fine. Or you can mash with a hand potato masher, but the ricer makes it so much easier.
- To the riced or mashed potatoes add milk 1/4 cup at a time and the butter until you can stir and they are the consistency you like. Use more or less milk based on your potatoes.
- Now you have the perfect mashed potatoes, allow to cool.
- When the potatoes are cool or straight from the refrigerator if they are leftovers, place 1/2 of this in a large bowl.
- Add the flour, onion, and eggs. Salt & Pepper.
- Stir all together, I like to use a fork.
- Then take an ice cream scoop or a large spoon and form a small pancake.
- Place these on plastic wrap or waxed paper on the counter until you make all the pancakes.
- Heat about 1 tablespoon of oil in a hot frying pan.
- When the oil is hot place gently the pancakes in the pan, pressing down slightly.
- Fry 2 to 3 minutes each side depending on your heat on your stove.
- Enjoy with maple syrup, sour cream or applesauce.
- Prep Time: 20-30 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 minutes a side
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Frying
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Leftover Mashed Potatoes Potato Pancakes