Handmade mashed potatoes are traditional for Thanksgiving the same as turkey and stuffing. They are also a favorite for many retro family meals like meatloaf. They are perfect every time when made in the Instant Pot
In my cooking experience, as a young wife, my mashed potatoes have gone through many transitions. Some years they come out light and fluffy other years they come out like wallpaper paste. But now that I use my Instant Pot exclusively for mashed potatoes with a food ricer they are perfect every time.
Traditional Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes. 17 recipes that we all love and remember from family childhood dinners and new modern favorites. Made easy with simple ingredients and modern appliances for busy families. Grab your copy right now to get a jump on holiday planning.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission which helps keep my blog up and running but it won’t cost you a penny more)! Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
I found the trick to making the perfect mashed potatoes in a new appliance that I have in my kitchen. My Instant Pot. You just can not go wrong with this appliance. It is like a slow cooker but faster.
I use my Instant Pot to cook the potatoes washed, peeled, and roughly cut potatoes for six minutes. When the potatoes are done cooked, I use a potato ricer instead of putting them in my stand mixer. This is the Potato Ricer that I use, click here. My Potato Ricer is a Wolfgang Puck appliance gadget.
Once you have the potatoes riced, you can add butter, milk, salt, and a few stirs and your potatoes are light fluffy modest, and delicious.
Quick & Easy Recipe:
- I use one 5 pounds of potatoes, peeled and rough cut, and add 3/4 cup of water to the pressure cooker.
- Set the Instant Pot on high pressure for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes release the pressure and check the doneness.
- Next, run the potatoes through the ricer.
- When all the potatoes are riced, add 4 tablespoons of butter, and about 1/2 cup of milk (the amount of butter and milk depends on how many potatoes you make.
- You may have to experiment until you have the consistency you like.
- Do not overmix.
- Salt and Pepper to taste and mix lightly.
- 5 pounds of baking potatoes
- 1 cup of water
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 1/2 cup of milk (warmed)
- Salt & pepper
- Insert the basket in the inner pot
- Place 1 cup of water in the Instant Pot
- Wash, peal and ruff chop the potatoes
- Set the electric pressure cooker on high pressure for 10 minutes
- When time is done do a 4 to 5 minute natural release
- Remove the potatoes from the Instant Pot and rice through a food ricer in a large bowl
- Add the butter and warmed milk and give a few stirs. This is all it should take as the riced potatoes become the perfect mashed potatoes in just a few stirs.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- You may need more or less milk depending on how many and the size of your potatoes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Instant Pot
Keywords: Perfect Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes