Beef Barley Soup is a perfect lunch or dinner choice when the weather has decided to turn to fall. Cool and sunny or cloudy and rainy, a warm comforting bowl of soup can make any day feel like home. Beef barley soup is simple, quick and wholesome, and ready in minutes in your Instant Pot. If you like an old fashioned soup give this homemade soup a try in your instant pot for a delicious soup the beef is tender and the barley is perfectly cooked.
It is most frustrating to arrive home from work feeling hungry yourself and little ones just wanting a hug and to talk. You are torn between needing to start the food and wanting to give the kids the love they need. Your Instant Pot solves both problems. It only takes 10 minutes to load then you are free while it cooks to talk about the day hug look at schoolwork or start a fun dinner table activity.
Beef Barley Soup has such a rich broth and the barley adds a whole grain. Lots of veggies provide the extra nutrients to make it a complete meal. Serve with crusty whole grain bread. If you are looking for more veggies I like to serve with a side salad.
To avoid standing and chopping right when you get home, I prepare all the veggies ahead and freeze them. One of the perks of the Instant Pot is that you can put all or part of your ingredients in frozen and the dish turns out perfect every time. If the food is frozen it does take 10 to 15 minutes longer to get up to pressure.
Think of your Instant Pot as your personal cooking assistant. Doing a lot of work while you spend your evening with your family. You can provide a warm healthy dinner in half the time and none of the stress of taking care of the kids and standing over the stove.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission which helps keep my blog up and running but it won’t cost you a penny more)! Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Check Out These Budget Friendly Instant Pots
Warm hearty comfort food.
- 1 1/2 pounds of Stew Meat
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 cups chopped Onion
- 1 cup chopped Carrots
- 1 cup chopped Celery
- 4 cloves Garlic (pressed or chopped)
- 1 can (14.5 oz) crushed Tomatoes
- 2 cans (4 oz) sliced mushrooms or 2 cups sliced Mushrooms
- 4 cups Beef Broth (low salt)
- 2 cups Water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/4 tsp Dried Thyme Leaves (not ground)
- 1 cup Barley
- If beef is frozen, defrost slightly in the microwave.
- Turn on the Instant Pot to Saute’, add olive oil.
- Add the onions and saute for 2 minutes.
- Salt & Pepper the beef, add to hot Instant Pot and brown beef.
- Add to the pot the carrots, celery, garlic, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Cancel the Instant Pot.
- Add the canned tomatoes and mushrooms.
- Add the beef broth, water, Worcestershire Sauce, thyme, and barley.
- Secure the lid and set the top valve to seal.
- Close the lid, set to meat/stew, and the timer for 25 minutes.
- When done do a quick release.
- Total time is higher as it takes about 10 minutes after you seal to get the Pot up to Pressure.
- You can brown the beef and saute’ the onions, carrots, and celery on the stove and put all other ingredients in the slow cooker. 3 hours on low or 6 hours on high.
- Serving Size: 6
Keywords: Instant Pot Beef Barley Soup