Healthy Simple Homemade Sloppy Joes: Perfect for Picnics or Camping
Simple summer homemade Sloppy Joes are a perfect family dinner that brings back memories of summer camps and picnics at home. I like to cook with as many fresh simple ingredients as I can and still keep a recipe quick and easy.
I have always made Sloppy Joys for our kids in a skillet on the range top, however, I am going to experiment with my electric pressure cooker. When I get the perfect pressure cooker method I will update.
Our girls had watched many TV shows and movies with a summer camps theme. All most all of these shows serve sloppy Joes. As part of my girl’s creative play, I like to make corresponding dishes to participate in the fun. I found this cute recipe one year for sloppy Janes. As I usually do I modified the recipe to be my own with increased vegetables and time-saving tips.
As you know, I love my electric pressure cooker because it keeps my hands free so I can spend more time with the kids after work. I have taken our traditional sloppy Jane recipe and experimented until I have a perfect consistency using the electric pressure cooker.
After work, the last thing I want to do is spend an hour in the kitchen cooking, and this sloppy Joe, when I make it in the electric pressure cooker recipe is perfect for making dinner and spending time with my family.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission which helps keep my blog up and running but it won’t cost you a penny more)! Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
- Skillet or Cast Iron Skillet
- Wooden Spatula
- Fresh Ingredients
- Cutting Board
- Good Chopping Knife
If you are on a Keto Diet this is a great recipe. Just leave out the brown sugar and make sure you make a lot of zucchini noodles.
- 1 1/2 Lbs Extra Lean Ground Beef
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 Red Pepper
- 1 Green Pepper
- 1 small Onion
- 3 chopped Garlic
- 1 TLB Brown Sugar
- 1 TLB Red Wine Vinegar or Cider Vinegar
- 1 TBL Worcestershire sauce
- 1 can Tomato Paste
- 1 Large Can Tomato Sauce (at least 15 Oz)
- Salt & Pepper
- Buns, or Zucchini Noodles
- In a large skillet add olive oil and sautéed onions. Add ground beef and brown.
- Add Garlic and chopped red and green peppers.
- Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, and tomato sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Sautee for about another 10 min on low.
- Serve over a good bun or zucchini noodles.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes