3 Ingredient Classic Simple French Toast
French toast is a beloved breakfast for every day, weekends, and even holidays. Everything you need to make a filling breakfast you already have in your kitchen. French Toast is so easy to make and the whole family will love the fluffy breakfast smothered in maple syrup. You will also love this recipe with fresh fruit, a dusting of powdered sugar, and of course whip topping.
French Toast has always been a go to special breakfast for the weekends. You can also make French Toast when you are in a pinch for dinner. Because of the egg and milk you have your protein all in one.
You may also be interested in Overnight French Toast Casserole
What You Need for The Perfect French Toast
You have all you need to make delicious filling french toast right in your kitchen. Eggs, bread, milk (you can even use any kind of milk or water) vanilla, and cinnamon if desired. Our family likes cinnamon in our pancakes, waffles so we also like it in our french toast, but just plan vanilla is perfect too.
Any size egg works and any kind of milk. Any of the the nut milks or oat milks work also.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission which helps keep my blog up and running but it won’t cost you a penny more)! Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Best Bread for French Toast
- You want to start with bread that will hold up to being soaked in the egg mixture. A thicker sturdy bread is best. Traditionally stale bread was used but that is not necessary.
- A firm Italian.
- Texas Toast.
- Think Cinnamon Bread.
- Challah bread.
- I have made delicious French Toast with every bread in the house and it is eaten faster than I can make it. So do not think you have to buy special bread.
Make Ahead Breakfast
You can also make fluffy savory French Toast the day ahead. After the French Toast is cooked, cool it can be put in a plastic bag or glass container in the fridge for 2 to 3 days. Reheat in the oven, toaster, or microwave.
French Toast Toppings
- Pure maple syrup
- Powdered sugar
- All berries
- Any fruit, apple, apple sauce, peaches, pears, banana
How to Make the Best French Toast
- Mix the eggs, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon and stir with a fork to mix well in a shallow bowl or pie plate.
- Heat a skillet on the stove to medium heat. Add olive oil, butter, or vegetable oil to coat the pan so the bread will not stick.
- With a fork gently soak each side of the bread with the egg mixture and put it in your skillet or grille leaving an inch of room between each slice of bread.
- Cook the toast for about one and a half minutes on each side. Adjust your time for the size of the skillet and the temperature of the skillet. Check to see if the cooked side is golden brown.
- Top with the French toast and enjoy.
3 Ingredient Classic Simple French Toast
French toast is a beloved breakfast for every day and even holidays. Everything you need to make a filling breakfast you already have in your kitchen. French Toast is so easy to make and the whole family will love that it can also be a simple dinner. You can top it with maple syrup, fresh fruit, or just a dusting of powdered sugar.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 minutes
- Total Time: 14 minutes
- Yield: 6 to 8 slices 1x
- Category: breakfast
- Method: stove top
- 6 eggs
- 8 to 10 slices of bread
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon if desired
- olive oil for the pan
- Mix together in a shallow bowl or a deep side pie pan the eggs, milk, vanilla, and if you want cinnamon french toast the cinnamon.
- Stir with a fork.
- Heat your fry pan or cast iron over medium heat. Add a little olive oil or vegetable oil to lightly coat the bottom of the pan so the toast will not stick.
- Using a fork lightly lower a slice of bread into the egg mixture and coat on both sides.
- Add to the hot frypan and cook for about 1 and 1/2 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side for 1 and 1/2 minutes. The toast should be golden brown on each side. Do the same for each slice of bread.
- Serve with warm maple syrup, fresh fruit, and whip topping.
- Check the cooking time for your pan and stove. My stove is about 1 to 1 1/2 to 2 minutes aside.
Keywords: french toast