Streusel Cinnamon Coffee Cake is a soft buttery cake topped with a crunchy sugar cinnamon topping. Cinnamon Coffeecake will remind you of cinnamon rolls with none of the hard work. You will also be able to close your eyes and smell & taste cinnamon toast, as you sip your coffee & or tea.
Coffee cake is a delicious breakfast treat with your morning coffee on any cold winter morning. The kind of day when you just want to snuggle up with a blanket, your cup of coffee, and warm cinnamon streusel cake for family movie time.
It is great as a breakfast or dessert to have ready when you have a houseful of family & guests over for the Christmas holidays. Streusel Cinnamon Coffeecake will keep for a day or two but it will not last in your home that long. Easily warmed in the microwave the next morning to freshen up the delicious fluffy cake and the sweet crunchy streusel topping.
WHY IS HOMEMADE STREUSEL CINNAMON COFFEE CAKE BETTER THAN THE TUBE AT THE STORE?
With 2 bowls & 2 basic steps, you can have warm coffee cake baking in your oven faster than you can open one of those weird contraptions of a tube that you get in the store.
Don’t get me wrong we have used store bought when the kids wanted to do it themselves and wanted to have a snack after school. But there is nothing that replaces the fluffy battery spongy cake, topped with the crunchy cinnamon streusel you get when you make the homemade simple version.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission which helps keep my blog up and running but it won’t cost you a penny more)! Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
2 EASY STEPS TO MAKE STREUSEL CINNAMON COFFEE CAKE
For baking, this warm comforting coffee cake just takes 2 basic steps before baking. Two Bowls and 8×8 in Square Glass Baking Dish are all you need. The first is to mix the batter together in one bowl. The second step is to mix the topping in a second bowl.
Simply spray a 9 x 9 baking pan with your favorite spray oil, combine the batter ingredients, and layer half in the pan. Take half of the streusel mixture and layer over the batter. Take the second half of the batter and layer over the streusel topping scraping the bowl. Top the whole thing with the remainder of the streusel crumble and bake in the oven.
We have had so many Thanksgiving or Christmas Eve mornings where I come downstairs before everyone is up and in 10 minutes I have it mixed together and pop it in the oven.
By the time I out of the shower the whole family can smell the delicious sweet cinnamon coffee cake. The smell usually wakes up my son-in-law and he’ll have the coffee brewing by the time I get downstairs.
VARIATIONS FOR YOUR COFFEE CAKE
- If you like things a little less sweet you can reduce the level of sugar in the streusel topping.
- If you like more crunch you can add some chopped nuts of any kind to the streusel crumble top.
- Our family is huge into cinnamon but you can make this with just a vanilla flavor to the topping leaving out the cinnamon (but why would you)
- Try adding some fresh fruit to the middle like apples, peaches, strawberries & blueberries, and again I would lessen the cinnamon.
The Best Streusel Cinnamon Coffee Cake Recipe
Streusel Cinnamon Coffee Cake is a soft and buttery cake topped with a crunchy sugar cinnamon topping. Cinnamon Coffee cake will remind you of cinnamon rolls with none of the hard work.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Spray Oil
- 1 Stick of Butter, softened
- 1/2 cup of Sugar
- 1 Egg slightly beat with a fork
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 and 1/4 cup of milk (I like 1/2 & 1/2)
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 2 cups Flour
- 2 teaspoons of Baking Powder
- Pinch of salt
For the Streusel Topping:
- 1 tablespoon of Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup of Brown Sugar
- 3/4 cup of Flour
- 5 tablespoons Cold Butter
- Pre-Heat your oven to 350℉
- Spray a 9×9 baking dish with spray oil.
- In a large mixing bowl (using an electric hand mixer or stand mixer) combine the softened butter, and sugar and beat on medium speed until fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until creamy.
- Measure the milk and set it aside.
- Next, mix the flour, baking powder, cinnamon & pinch of salt. (When measuring your flour, first whisk the flour into the container as it tends to settle, you want to dip and measure your fluffed flour.)
- Add alternatively in one-third of the flour mixture and milk to the butter mixture. (the batter will be thick)
- The Streusel Topping: In a smaller mixing bowl mix the streusel topping and combine the flour, 1 tablespoon of cinnamon, and 1/2 cup of brown sugar. (you will have more streusel than you need, but better more topping than not enough. Feel free to not use all of the toppings)
- Cut one cold stick of butter into small squares. Add the butter to the streusel topping mixture and cut in with a Pastry Cutter. (You can also do this with a fork but it will take longer) You want the topping to be a crumbly texture, combined with the butter so you can pick it up with your hand and layer on the cake batter)
- Assemble in the 8×8 pan:
- Layer 1/2 of the cake batter in your prepared pan. The batter will be thick you may need to take your time to spread it in the pan.
- Sprinkle 1/2 of the topping in the pan.
- Spread the remaining batter over the streusel crumbles that will be in the middle. (I just drop spoonfuls over the streusel and spread with a knife, as best as I can.
- Take the remaining streusel crumbles and layer for the crunchy top.
- Bake at 350° for 45 to 50 minutes
Keywords: Streusel Cinnamon Coffee Cake