Pasta Fagioli Soup is a classic Italian vegetable, bean, and a tomato-based soup. It is loaded with flavor and traditionally is served with little kinds of pasta called Ditalini. They look like you cut a straw into little bits, but they are so good to eat and fun for kids in any dish.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission which helps keep my blog up and running but it won’t cost you a penny more)! Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
The Italian word Ditalini means “small thimbles”. Your kids will just think they are cute. We cook our Ditalini separately from the soup so they do not get too mushy and the kids like them plain with parmesan cheese sprinkled on them. You can start the little ones on the pasta plain and as they get older introduce the soup. Pasta Fagioli is hearty and full of flavor with simple fresh ingredients.
Pasta Fagioli freezes well and gets better a day or two after you make it. The soup goes together very quickly and can simmer on the stove until everyone gets home. Good all year long but warming and comforting in the winter.
Pasta Fagioli is a staple in my husband’s family, Mom & Dad would cook this together almost every week. Cooking has always been a way of bringing the family together. While there are many versions of Pasta Fagioli, this recipe is handed down in the Buonpane family for generations and is still loved by our kids today.
Grab the very easy to find and store ingredients together, make a big batch, have a fun family dinner together, freeze the rest and you will have dinner ready in a flash another busy workday night.
- Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven
- Or a Traditional Cast Iron Dutch Oven
- Ditalini Pasta
- Silicone Spatula Set
- Large Pasta Bowls
- Italian Bread to serve with
Pasta Fagioli Soup is a classic Italian vegetable, bean, and a tomato-based soup. It is loaded with flavor and traditionally is served with little kinds of pasta called Ditalini. They look like you cut a straw in little bits, but they are so good to eat and fun for kids in any dish.
- 1/4 cup Olive oil
- 1 large Onion
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 2 Green Peppers
- 2 Carrots
- 1 32 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 large 16 oz Tomato Sauce
- 2 cans 28 oz Red Kidney Beans
- 1 can 28 oz Great Northern White Beans
- 1 tsp Basil
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- Salt & Pepper
- 1/2 Parsley
- Ditalini Pasta
- In a Large Dutch Oven or large pot heat the olive oil.
- Saute the chopped Onion & Garlic first until soft and golden brown.
- Next, saute the peppers and then the carrots.
- Add the Diced Tomatoes and the Tomato Sauce.
- Add the Basil & Oregano
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Heat a pot of water to cook the Ditalini Pasta according to the package instructions.
- Add the Red Kidney Been, & Northern White Beans
- Simmer for 10 minutes to heat the beans.
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- When ready to serve, add the cooked pasta and a little chopped parsley to each bowl & a drizzle of olive oil.
Keywords: Easy Pasta Fagioli Soup