Your kids will beg you to make your version of this Chex™ Mix recipe every week. You can make my recipe or you can mix it up with your family’s favorite combination of cereal, nuts, and pretzels. The combinations are endless.
Nothing beats making Chex™ Mix at home it is so delicious you will never buy it pre-made again. Make Chex mix for a fun after school snack or as a side dish for your next friend party.
Looking for another homemade snack check out: Simple Ranch Seasoned Movie Pretzels with Popcorn Oil!
How to Make Homemade Chex Mix
Homemade Chex Mix is the perfect after school snack, picnic food, party mix, and energy boost for summer working teens. Is it the crunch, the salty & the sweet, or the fun of all the shapes and sizes that make it a favorite of kids and adults alike. Have the kids help pick out the ingredients at the store and have them participate in the fun dump and mix recipe.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission which helps keep my blog up and running but it won’t cost you a penny more)! Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Our family started making this recipe when our home had little ones and they loved Chex™ Mix and I wanted to control the ingredients. Making the recipe in a big oval roaster in the oven allows you to double or triple the recipe as well as making the stirring easier. (yes! you will want to double and triple the recipe)
The recipe makes a lot but it goes fast if you have more an one person in your home. If you are making just a single batch you can put the mixture on a cookie sheet lined with foil.
Just remember for the best results you need to keep stirring the Chex™ Mix every 15 minutes or so. (It is not an exact science.)
I have a link to the original Chex™ Mix recipe from Chex. It has changed on the site giving instruction to use the microwave. Being an originalist, I will only make it in the oven. I do not believe you can get the same quality of crunch, I have not tried the microwave if you have tried this method, leave a comment and let me know how it turned out.
Chex Mix and After School Relaxation & Snack Time
One of my favorite times of the day is after school when the kids get home from school. They need time to decompress just as we do when coming home from work. A healthy snack and mom conversation, love, and interest in their day and a reminder that home always is you can be yourself and share your stresses.
For many years I made my kids favorite Chex™ Mix and we would watch a 30 minute TV show. At first, it was “Rugrats” and then my favorite Arthur. We alternated between Homemade Chex™ Mix and Ants on a log (Ants on a log in our house is graham crackers with peanut butter and mini chocolate chips.
My best friend Linda makes her version for our annual New Years Party. She puts Cap’n Crunch™ in her recipe. My son requested a huge batch of Chex™ Mix for his work snack to share with his 4 working friends this summer. He requested the Cap’n Crunch™ and honey roasted nuts for this year’s special mix. You will want to make your batch with Cap’n Crunch Cereal, your kids will love it and ask what you did to make the recipe taste so great.
Tips To Make Homemade Chex Mix
It is important to use a pan that has deep sides. When you are mixing it is easier to keep tossing the mixture every 15 minutes if you have a deep-sided pan. I use my old reliable roasting pan that is perfect for a batch and a half.
The measurements do not have to be exact. I measure each ingredient and dump then in the roasting pan. You can mix as you add or just dump and mix when all is added in. Remember that you can change up the ingredients to keep in line with your family’s tastes. You can make your mix plan or super spicy.
We like to just a few nuts, you may want to add a lot of nuts. You may want to only add rice Chex and leave out the corn Chex. It is all up to you.
After you mix it all together it is time to add the butter mixture that when toasted make homemade Chex mix so irresistible. I can not keep this in the house and when I made a batch for our son going off to college again, I had to make a second batch as it was disappearing as I was cleaning up. I do not mind at all I love that my family enjoys my cooking. I do my best to use feed my family wholesome foods but Chex Mix is a special treat.
The trick to making homemade Chex Mix crunchy toasty is mixing every 15 minutes for 1 and 1/2 hours. To remember how many 15 minute stirs I have done, I take 6 clips and clip one on a container each time I am done stirring. When you have family and little ones in the kitchen you need all the help you can get to make sure you do not burn the Chex Mix.
- 4 cups Corn Chex™ cereal
- 4 cups Rice Chex™ cereal
- 4 cups Cap’n Crunch™ cereal
- 1 cup Wheat Chex™ cereal
- 1 cup of mini Pretzels (very small)
- 2 cups Honey Roasted Peanuts
- 3 cups Bagel Chips Gardetto Garlic Rye Chips
- 8 TLB Butter
- 3 TBL Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp Lawry’s Seasoned Salt
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- Heat the oven to 250°
- Measure out each of the cereal, nuts, pretzels, and bagel chips toss in a very large bowl. Make sure your bowl is larger than you think you need. As you add it gets harder to mix if in a too small bowl.
- In a glass measuring cup melt the butter in the microwave 30 seconds at a time until completely melted.
- Mix in the Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt, garlic powder, and onion powder to the butter.
- Pour the butter mixture over the dry ingredients a little at a time mixing and tossing well.
- Transfer the Chex™mix to your big oven roaster, or you can transfer to several baking sheets lined with foil.
- Bake in the oven at 250° for 1 hour and 15 minutes (may need 1 hour & 30 minutes if you are tripling the recipe).
- Every 15 minutes, carefully open the oven and stir to make it extra crispy and keep it from sticking together. (do not skip this)
- Update for 2019: I double the ingredients #8 – #12 for the single recipe, as my family likes it a little more spicy.
- I increased some of the seasonings as we used larger amounts of cereal.
- Remember to use whatever cereal your family likes if they like more wheat Chex™ and less corn, make it your own.
- Let me know what you like in your mix.
- Update 2022: Big batch for Katie’s 30th Birthday Party: 8 cups of corn Chex, 8 cups of rice Chex, 8 cups of Cap’n Crunch, no wheat Chex, 1 (12.4 oz) box of Cheddar Jack Cheez-it, 1 cup of Honey roasted Peanuts, one bag of Bagel Chips, 4 sticks of butter, 2/3 Worcestershire sauce, 4 tablespoons of Lawry’s seasoned salt, 1 tablespoon garlic powder, 1 tablespoon onion powder. I had to put in my large roaster pan and 1 13×9 pan to get it all to fit in the oven.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 min
- Method: Oven Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Chex Mix Snack