Saltine cracker stuffing or dressing is a retro, mid-modern, in the bird stuffing. Delicious and most. Perfectly made in the turkey cavity or in a casserole dish as an extra side. Moist, light, and fluffy, much lighter than most bread stuffings. Light and airy full of flavor saltine cracker stuffing with the traditional poultry seasoning taste of a saltine cracker stuffing.
You may have never heard of a saltine cracker stuffing or dressing for your Thanksgiving dinner or you may have a memory of your Grandmother making this vintage recipe. This is the best stuffing for your Thanksgiving dinner if you are not a fan of a more heavy bread stuffing.
Our family recipe does not have any meat in the stuffing but you can make the saltine cracker stuffing with sausage included if you like. This recipe is also called a milk cracker stuffing recipe as milk is one of the main ingredients to make the recipe extra moist.
Before I was married, I had never heard of a saltine cracker stuffing for a Thanksgiving turkey. Stuffing on Thanksgiving day was never one of my favorite dishes however once I was in her dues to the saltine cracker recipe, it became one of my favorites. This dressing is full of flavor but more crunchy than a lot of soggy dressings. If traditional stuffing is not your favorite you might want to give this one a try. It looks a little strange mixed in the bowl, but once it is removed from the bird it is moist, flavorful, and delicious.
Prepare Saltine Cracker Stuffing Ingredient the Day Before
One of the ways I like to make the process of making Thanksgiving run smoothly is I prepare as much as the night before. All the ingredients for saltine cracker stuffing can be prepared ahead of time, and placed in plastic Ziploc bags in the refrigerator. Then on the morning of Thanksgiving, you mix all of the ingredients together and stuff in the bird.
The saltine crackers used in this recipe instead of other bread, have to be crushed, and this can take some time. As with many side dishes, this is one that is easily prepared the day or two before for easy preparation on Thanksgiving morning.
I would recommend that you always purchase fresh saltine crackers from the grocery store, and don’t use the boxes of crackers that you have had for a while. The fresher the cracker the more flavorful stuffing for the Retro Mid Mod Cracker Stuffing Dressing Thanksgiving Turkey.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission which helps keep my blog up and running but it won’t cost you a penny more)! Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
The recipe may make more stuffing than you can stuff in your turkey. If this is the case just put the extra in a casserole dish and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Cover the casserole when baking with foil and place the decorative duck lid on for a cute serving dish.
Vintage Thanksgiving Saltine Cracker Turkey Stuffing
Saltine cracker stuffing or dressing is a retro, mid-modern, in the bird stuffing. Delicious and most. Perfectly made in the turkey cavity or in a casserole dish as an extra side. Moist, light, and fluffy, much lighter than most bread stuffings.
- Prep Time: 30
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Category: side dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- 4 sleeves of Saltine Crackers crushed
- 4 stalks of celery chopped
- 1/2 bunch parsley chopped
- 2 Onions chopped
- 4 eggs beaten until foamy
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 to 2 cups of Milk to make the dressing moist
- Mix all the crackers, celery parsley, and onion together, stir in the eggs and add milk to make a moist mixture.
- Stuff in your Turkey and Bake for the amount of time for the size of your turkey.
- If you have more stuffing than what fits in the bird or do not want to put this in your bird, you can put this in an oiled baking dish and cook at 350° for 40 minutes. You may have to add some additional milk to keep the mixture moist before you bake it. Always test to make sure the middle is cooked well done).
- Update 2021:
- This recipe is for a 20 pound or more turkey. If you are stuffing a smaller bird you may want to cut it in half.
- Also, the update is I forgot to include the 1 teaspoon on poultry seasoning.
- You may want to add more milk to get the consistency you like.
- Serving Size: 10
Keywords: Saltine Cracker Turkey Stuffing
Have a Great Thanksgiving and Christmas