What makes a breakfast casserole easy? You make it the night before put it in the fridge & bake it when you get up. An egg bake casserole is a dump & mix recipe. Ready for Thanksgiving or Christmas morning and tastes even better the next day.
So super simple, just pop the casserole in the oven then go get dressed, when you are ready breakfast is ready. In fact, a breakfast casserole is perfect for any weekend when you have overnight guests. Spend time with friends & family not standing over the stove.
Traditional Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes. 17 recipes that we all love and remember from family childhood dinners and new modern favorites. Made easy with simple ingredients and modern appliances for busy families. Grab your copy right now to get a jump on holiday planning.
The Buonpane Family Tradition
A Thanksgiving breakfast years ago began our family tradition of an Easy Overnight Breakfast Casserole for both Thanksgiving & Christmas morning. The recipe was given to me by a favorite cousin, Pete, who believes in passing on family traditional recipes to the next generation. He passed it on to me and I have passed it down to our family.
The original recipe used a lot of butter, and I mean a lot. Also, pork sausage was the meat in Pete’s recipe. I have modernized the casserole to suit our lifestyle of a lower fat & vegetarian diets. Now I make our breakfast casserole with little butter, turkey sausage, and I always make a non-meat small dish for our vegetarians in the family.
When you have a houseful of people staying overnight, who wakes up hunger and excited to socialize, you will want to have 2 or 3 of the casserole in the refrigerator ready to bake. I do make 3 when everyone is here as there never are any leftovers with only one (and even then this never lasts past day two).
Ps: It is very hard to get a good picture of this dish. It tastes way better than it looks, I am making the Easy Overnight Breakfast Casserole again this month and will update the pictures. I just wanted to make sure that if anyone needed an easy breakfast the recipe is here for you.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission which helps keep my blog up and running but it won’t cost you a penny more)! Click here to read my full disclosure policy.Print
Savory filling Thanksgiving or Christmas breakfast casserole. Make the casserole the night before, keep in the refrigerator and pop in the oven when you are getting dressed, it will be ready when you are.
- 8 slices of cubed Bread (I mix white with wheat but you can use any kind you like)
- 2 cups of Grated Swiss Cheese
- 1 lb bulk Turkey sausage
- 4 whole Eggs
- 2 1/2 cups of Milk Whole or 1/2 & 1/2 (not skim you need the fat in the milk to help it set)
- 1 tablespoon Dry Mustard
- 1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Pepper to taste
- Spray oil (Pam)
- Spray Pam on the bottom of a 13×9 Glass Baking Pan.
- Brown sausage in a frying pan until cooked, drain off any excess oil set aside.
- Layer on the bottom of the pan the bread, next, the sausage and then the cheese.
- Mix together the eggs, milk, mustard soup, and pepper, pour over the top of the bread sausage cheese in the pan.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, heat the oven to 350℉
- Bake the casserole covered for 1 hour. Remove the foil and bake another 10 minutes.
- Sometimes you will need to bake 10 to 20 minutes longer depending on how cold your dish is when you put it in the oven. It should be brown and bubbly.
- If you use skim/fat free milk the dish will be more runny. You can use fat free reduce the milk by 1 cup but I would not advise using fat free milk at all.
Keywords: Easy Overnight Breakfast Casserole