Easy Ground Beef Stroganoff
Easy Ground Beef Stroganoff is a classic comfort food that is a favorite back to the 50s in our family. It is simple to put together on a weeknight as the recipe is a one-pan dish and takes no time to make. All you need is wide egg noodles to serve it over. You will have all the richness and mushroom goodness of the traditional beef stroganoff but with less than half the time.
The recipe is in a 1950’s Church cookbook that my mother has from the women’s group in our church. We also called it Hamburger Stroganoff. I remember this dish as a child & I make it for my kids now. It is very filling, and perfect for summer working in the yard. You can mix this up in a skillet on the stove quickly after a long day in the garden, put a pot of water on for the noodles and in no time have dinner.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission which helps keep my blog up and running but it won’t cost you a penny more)! Click here to read my full disclosure policy. (I am also all about not standing over the stove and this is a stove dinner. I will give it a try in the Instant Pot and let you know. I would rather brown my ground beef in the Instant Pot and then have it cook than stand at the stove. However, the ground beef stroganoff goes together so fast you will be eating by the time the noodles are cooked)
Easy Ground Beef Stroganoff
Easy Ground Beef Stroganoff is a classic comfort food that is simple to put together on a weeknight in one pan & takes no time to make. All you need is large egg noodles to serve it over. Rich, creamy and very filling for the whole family
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Cuisine: American
- 1 package (12oz) of extra wide Egg Noodles
- 1 TLB Olive Oil
- 1 large minced Onion
- 2 cloves minced Garlic
- 1 1/2 lbs of Ground Beef
- 1/4 tsp Salt (to your taste)
- 1/4 tsp Pepper (to your taste)
- 1/4 tsp of Seasoned Salt (optional)
- 1/4 tsp Paprika
- 1 TLB of Worchester Sauce
- 2 TBL of Flour
- 2 cans (4oz) sliced Mushrooms ( you can use fresh if you have the time)
- 2 cans (10.75oz) of Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 cup of Sour Cream (for last, see note)
- For garnish, fresh Parsley or Chives
- Start a large pot of water to boil with a dash of salt.
- When the water is boiling, add the egg noodles following the instruction on the package.
- When the noodles are done drain. (You can cook the noodles at the same time as you make the beef mixture.
- In a hot skillet add the olive oil and saute the onions till golden brown.
- Add the Garlic & saute for about 1 minute.
- Add the Ground Beef to the skillet and brown well.
- Next, ad the salt, pepper, seasoned salt, paprika, Worchester sauce.
- Add the 2 cans of drained mushrooms.
- stir in the flour.
- Stir in the 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup and mix well.
- Cook on low for 5 minutes until it is a low bubble.
- Put the sour cream in a small bowl. Take a little of the stroganoff mixture and add it to the bowl, a little at a time. You want to warm up the sour cream before mixing in the pan so it does not curdle. Once you have about a cup of mixture to one cup of sour cream, you can add the sour cream to the pan.
- Heat the Ground Beef Stroganoff to a slight bubble again and serve over the egg noodles
- Garnish with fresh parsley or chives.
- For the sour cream, you can not add it directly to the skillet or it will curdle, the recipe will be ok to eat but will not look very good. Take a little of the stroganoff mixture and add it to the bowl of the sour cream, a little at a time. You want to warm up the sour cream before mixing in the pan so it does not curdle. Once you have about a cup of mixture to one cup of sour cream, you can add the sour cream to the pan.
- I also like to have some fresh mushrooms to top off my dish.
Keywords: Ground Beef Stroganoff
Gosh this sounds delicious.I love Stroganoff and have never thought of doing it with minced beef. I bet it would be fab with minced pork too. I love that it’s an old hand me down recipe too! Thankyou for sharing at #FiestaFriday
This is an old family favorite of my husbands! I’ll have to remind him of it. Sharing! Thank you for sharing on Merry Monday! Hope to see ya next week!
Our family loves it too! Thank you for hosting
Yummy! We love beef stroganoff. Excited to try your easy recipe. Looks so good!
Thank you so much for your kind comment, we love stroganoff at our house and always looking for new recipes.
This recipe sounds delicious. I like good old fashioned recipes like this.
They are some of my favorites.