Party guests will love this sweet, salty, spicy Christmas Spiced Nuts Appetizer Recipe. Every time I have served them they disappear and I have to hide them if I make them the day before. The smell alone of the nuts roasting brings the family flocking to the kitchen.
I attended a cooking class with my best friend at 76 Supply several years ago and this spiced nuts recipe was one of the quick and easy recipes they made for holiday guests. The nuts can be made a day or two ahead, the only danger in this is they are so good it is hard not to eat them all yourself (or your husband). They are nutty, sweet, salty, and spicy. The holiday spiced nut flavors are hard to resist.
The first time I made this recipe my mother-in-law was still living. She took a bite of these nuts and wanted to know who had made the hideous nuts. She was so distraught over my changing the traditional natural taste, she repeated her displeasure for about a half hour. The conversation got to the point that my nephew started walking around and calling them Sue’s hideous nuts. It has been a joke in our family for many years since.
While Jim’s mother was living, I didn’t make these nuts again as I didn’t want to disturb her, however now I’m going to put them back on our Thanksgiving and Christmas table as a traditional dish everybody loves.
- 3 to 4 cups of raw nuts mixed variety
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 TLB Brown Sugar
- 1 TLB Salt
- 1 1/2 TLB Melted Butter
- Roast the nuts in the oven in one layer on a large baking sheet at 350° until lightly toasted about 5 to 10 min. Watch closely.
- When the nuts are out of the oven, melt the butter.
- Mix together and toss over the nuts the butter cayenne pepper, brown sugar and salt.
- Cool and serve.
- You can store the nuts in a air tight container for at least a week. But they will not last that long.
- Do not melt the butter and mix the sugar together ahead of time as it will become hard and you will not be able to use.
Find where I share my post at my favorite Link Parties: Click Here