Easy Homemade Sausage Gravy & Biscuits is a big hit for breakfast, but not a lot of work. It looks like you spent hours but can be prepped ahead. I am always looking for easy breakfast ideas for the holidays. On Thanksgiving & Christmas when we have the family over I like to have an easy to make breakfast.
At every drive south with the family for a Florida or Hilton Head vacation, all the hotels have a breakfast buffet that serves Sausage Gravy over Biscuits. It is so deliciously rich with flavor it is a go-to every visit. With the rich creamy texture and the savory sausage flavor, it is perfect for a hearty breakfast served over biscuits.
Sausage Gravy & Biscuits is not a traditional dish in our family so I thought it would be very difficult to get that rich robust flavor. I did not know until I tried how easy it is. Simple ingredients in a creamy milk gravy this recipe goes together in a snap and will fill everyone up on a fun weekend morning. It is perfect for a quick & easy dinner when you do not have a lot of time to cook.
You can buy ready-made biscuits or make the super simple Bisquick Biscuit recipe in my post here.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission which helps keep my blog up and running but it won’t cost you a penny more)! Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
How to Make Sausage Gravy over Biscuits
- First, make your biscuits as they can cook in the oven without much attention. My family likes Bisquick Biscuits mixed fresh, but you can use store-bought or make another recipe.
- We usually use skim milk in our cooking and to drink. I have made the sausage gravy with skim milk but it does have to simmer awhile to get to that rich creamy consistency. Whole milk or 2% works better.
- After you add the milk to the sausage and the flour you will want to stand at the skillet and stir to make sure it does not burn and that it thickens to how you like it.
- You can also use turkey sausage or a plant base sausage substitute if that is what your family likes.
- 1 pound of Sage & Herb Sausage (or turkey sausage brand from your local store)
- 3 cup of Skim Milk
- 4 tablespoons Flour
- Salt & Pepper
- Homemade Bisquick Biscuits any shape.
- In a large skillet spray the pan with spray oil. Get the pan to medium heat.
- With your hands (you can wear gloves) crumble the sausage into the pan. Brown & cook until no longer pink. Stir and break up the clumps as you go with a fork.
- When the sausage is cooked, sprinkle with the flour and mix so that the sausage is coated.
- Heat the milk in the microwave so that it is room temperature, not cold.
- Slowly stir in the milk, mixing slowly as you go.
- The Sausage gravy will thicken as you stir. This takes from 5 to 10 minutes over medium high heat.
- Serve over homemade Bisquick Biscuits.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Southern American
- Method: saute
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Easy Sausage Gravy Recipe Over Biscuits