Making Valentine’s heart sugar cookie with kids in February will fill your heart with joy and love. Valentine’s is all about love and bring this love with a simple craft that is hands-on and full of laughter. Valentine’s Day cutout Sugar Cookes are a fun way to brighten up the winter day.
My mother Christene Landfear Kirchner, and her sister Lois Landfear Epps used crafting as a way to express creativity, teach skills to children, and help children developmentally and emotionally.
My mother, Christene, loves the Lord and loved her family. She enjoyed the holidays and would express her love to her family by making holidays special, exciting, and full of joy. One of my favorite holidays is Valentine’s, with its bright red and pink colors, hearts used, and every craft.
How to Cut Paper Hearts by Hand
You may also be interested in a simple craft to teach to your kids this Valentine’s Day. How to cut paper hearts by hand.
Don’t forget to teach your children the skill of making an asymmetrical heart by simply using a piece of folded construction paper and a pair of scissors, to write Valentine’s Day cards, and love letters. Go to my post on the fun art of cutting your paper hearts by hand.
One of the first crafting skills I learned after learning how to cut out a circle, was how to fold a piece of paper in half and cut out a perfectly symmetrical heart. My mother also taught my sister and me the skill of making paper snowflakes by hand. I can only imagine the creativity that would have been sparked and my mother by modern computer printables, and Cricut Crafts. This year I am going to make my paper heart with my Cricut Explore Air.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission which helps keep my blog up and running but it won’t cost you a penny more)! Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
I am so excited to brighten our home with beautiful cut-out valentines from my Cricut Craft Design Space. If you are new to Cricut Design Space Check out Keys to Inspirations basic instructions on using your Cricut to fill your home with beautiful cut-out valentines.
The Perfect Heart Sugar Cookies
Every Valentine’s Day, our home was filled with hearts. We would make these beautifully handcrafted cut hearts from construction paper and tape them to all the windows in the house.
My mother also taught us how to make sugar cookies and cut them with all different shapes and sizes of heart cookie cutters. We would also use these cookie cutters to cut out biscuits out of Bisquick to decorate Valentine’s holiday with Valentine shaped biscuits instead of your traditional round biscuit.
My mother used a basic sugar cookie dough for Heart valentines sugar cookies, the same recipe she used for Christmas cutout cookies recipe that she used as I was growing up, and I used with my children all through their growing up years was found in our church’s women’s Guild cookbook.
I have kept Valentine’s tradition of making delicious sprinkled heart sugar cookies and frosting heart cookies every year. Even the grayest dark Ohio February day can be bright with a delicious frosted sugar cookie.
How to Make Heart Sugar Cookies
- Clear all our kitchen counters as this can be a big project with little ones.
- Bring out all of your ingredients and supplies.
- Layout a cutting mat or wax paper on the counter.
- Dress your little ones in Valentine Apron or an old shirt.
- Mix your cookie dough and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- While you wait to write Love Letter and Valentine’s to Dad, Grandparents or Aunts and Uncles.
- Enjoy Rolling out the dough, tasting and cutting the fun shapes.
- Either decorate with sprinkles before baking or Frost after baking.
- Have a blast!
Simple Valentine’s Day Sugar Cookies frosted or with sprinkles. So much fun to make with your children for Valentine’s Day.
- 1 cup Butter or Margarine
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tsp. Vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups Flour
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 6 tsp butter melted
- 2 cups Confectionary Sugar
- Cream the butter and the sugar until well mixed with a hand mixer or stand mixer.
- Add the eggs and the vanilla and mix for about 1 minute
- In a medium bowl mix the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- And the flour mixture to the butter, sugar, egg, and vanilla mixture together.
- Do not over mix when almost mixed mix with a spatula.
- Chill the dough for 20 minutes to an hour.
- Roll out on a floured surface and cut into shapes.
- Bake at 350° for 9 to 10 minutes.
- I have found that after a few batches of cookies you have reduce your baking time by a min.
Keywords: Heart Sugar Cutout Cookies