Classic comfort food Tuna Noodle Casserole is a delicious & creamy family dinner recipe that uses only 4 ingredients. 4 ingredients that are easy to keep stocked in your kitchen for when you just do not want to cook but you want your family to have a hot homemade meal.
Tuna noodle mushroom soup casserole has been a tradition in our family and maybe yours too. Creamy with egg noodles, baked in the oven a super simple dinner that is budget friendly and enough to feed a crowd.
We all have those weeknights when we do not want our family to eat fast food but we want to get off our feet. This recipe is perfect for a quick easy family dinner. Made with the traditional cream of mushroom soup. Perfect topped with crushed saltine crackers the kids will love it. And you will love the ease of this 50’s old school casserole.
Another super simple dinner casserole you may want to check out, Loaded Veggie Mac & Beef Casserole!
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission which helps keep my blog up and running but it won’t cost you a penny more)! Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
How to Make Tuna Noodle Casserole with Mushroom Soup
- The first thing you will want to do when making a tuna noodle casserole recipe starts with boiling a large pot of water. Cooking the noodles is the longest part of this recipe.
- Purchase the best tuna that you can work into your budget. Any tuna will work but it is best if backed in water. I always get the StarKist Solid White Albacore Tuna in Water. It has a very light flavor and is light color in your casserole.
- After you open the tuna can squeeze all the water off.
- Next mix all of the Cream of Mushroom Soup with the and the tuna in a medium bowl with the milk to make the sauce creamy.
- We like to put crushed saltines on the top, but you can use bread crumbs or even crushed potato chips.
- Make sure that you top the casserole with topping. The cracker topping is a family favorite that is fought over each time I make this dish. (ok, we do not actually fight but regardless when 2nds are being served, & there are always 2nds requested, the topping is on the Top of the requests)
- When you are dead tired from a busy day at work or a busy day with the kids, Tuna Noodle Casserole is so easy to through together, pop in a casserole dish, top with crushed cracker and in the oven for 30 minutes.
Variations of the Tuna Noodle Recipe
- Add peas to the casserole
- Add broccoli to the casserole
- Top with bread crumbs
- Top with crushed potato chips
- Top with crushed ritz cracker
- Substitute cream of celery soup
- substitute cream of cheddar soup
How Long Does Tuna Noodle Casserole with Egg Noodles last?
Tuna noodle casserole with egg noodles will last in the refrigerator for about 2 to 3 days if stored in an airtight container. You can put the whole 13 x 9 baking pan in the refrigerator covered with foil also. Reheat serving sizes in the microwave. Be careful not to make sure it is not to hot before you start eating.
Can you freeze Tuna Noodle Casserole?
You can freeze an uncooked casserole by covering the casserole with aluminum foil. When you want to cook the casserole, remove it from the freezer and thaw in the refrigerator overnight. The next day cook as usual.
If the tuna noodle casserole is cooked it would be best to freeze it in freezer containers in individual portions. This is best for reheating in the microwave.
Supplies Needed: (not much)
- A shallow Sturdy Casserole Dish
- Or a Deep Round Casserole Dish
- Pot Holders
- Cookie sheet, set the casserole on a cookie sheet to make it easier to take out of the oven.
I had never eaten tuna until I was married & Jim’s mom made a quick dinner one night of Tuna Noodle. I did not know what to think as it was a new flavor. The warm creaminess of the sauce with the egg noodles soon had me as a fan.
When I was pregnant with our first, I could have eaten it every night, I had such a craving. I am so thankful Jim’s mom Grace showed me how to make this awesome traditional recipe.
Best Desserts to Serve with Tuna Noodle Casserole
Red Velvet Heart Cake Mix Cut Out Cookies
Red velvet heart cake mix cut out cookies are so easy to make using only 3 ingredients. Start with a red velvet box cake mix. Mix dough and roll out the dough. Delicious soft puffy cookies with crispy edges.
How to Make Easy Creamy Instant Pot Rice Pudding
You can have creamy old fashioned comfort food rice pudding in a matter of minutes all without standing over the stove. Simple to mix together in the inner pot of the Instant Pot and minutes to cook, to the most delicious creamy satisfying rice pudding.
Easy Box Cake Mix Lemon Poke Cake – with Lemon Curd Filling
Easy Lemon Poke Cake with a Lemon Curd Filling – very moist! This easy to make decadent cake is from a Duncan Hines box cake mix recipe. The perfect dessert for any occasion! My Lemon Poke Cake is quick and decadent. Very moist, with a lemony curd for that extra zing. It’s great for summer
Classic Traditional Comfort Food: rich and creamy mushroom soup sauce with fluffy egg needles.
- Cook your noodles to al’dente accordingly to the package. Drain and set aside
- Drain the Tuna of its water
- Mix the mushroom soup with the tuna in a separate bowl.
- Spray oil your casserole dish, layer some the noodles in the dish and add the tuna mixture, keep adding and mixing until the casserole is full.
- Crush the Saltine Crackers in a plastic bag with a rolling pin or a glass cup.
- Sprinkle the cracker on the top.
- put in the oven uncovered for 30 minutes at 350° or until hot and bubbly.
Keywords: Tuna Noodle Casserole